The American Anthropological Association invites minority doctoral candidates in anthropology to apply for a dissertation writing fellowship of $10,000. The annual AAA Minority Dissertation Fellowship is intended to encourage members of ethnic minorities to complete doctoral degrees in anthropology, thereby increasing diversity in the discipline and/or promoting research on issues of concern among minority populations. Dissertation topics in all areas of the discipline are welcome. Doctoral students who require financial assistance to complete the write-up phase of the dissertation are urged to apply.
A nonrenewable dissertation fellowship of $10,000 will be provided annually to one anthropology graduate student.
Read About Past Minority Dissertation Fellowship Winners
An applicant must be: (1) a US citizen, or have graduated from a U.S. high school, or completed a GED certificate in the United States; (2) a member of an historically underrepresented ethnic minority group, including, but not limited to: African Americans, Alaskan Natives, American Indians or Native Americans, Asian Americans, Latino/as, Chicano/as, and Pacific Islanders; (3) enrolled in a full-time academic program leading to a doctoral degree in anthropology at the time of application (4) admitted to degree candidacy before the dissertation fellowship is awarded; and (5) a member of the American Anthropological Association. The dissertation proposal must be approved by the applicant's committee prior to application. Students of any subfield or specialty in anthropology will receive equal consideration.
- Candidates must have a record of outstanding academic achievement.
- Applicants must be members of the American Anthropological Association at least one month prior to submitting materials for the AAA Minority Dissertation Fellowship Program.
- Applicants must have had their dissertation proposals approved by their dissertation committees prior to application.
- The dissertation research must be in an area of anthropological research.
- The recipient of the fellowship must be in need of a fellowship to complete the dissertation. The applicant will be required to provide information regarding their current financial and funding situation.
Application materials and complete instructions are available for download:
Fellowship Application & Information (PDF)
Complete Applications MUST be received by February 15th and should be sent to:
- American Anthropological Association
- Minority Dissertation Fellowship Program
- 2200 Wilson Blvd., Suite 600
- Arlington, VA 22201-3357
If you have any questions, please contact Chelsea Horton at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703-528-1902.