Objectives: This committee reviews Association administrative issues, academic and external relations, governance issues, membership benefits, section relations, and financial resources.
Duration of Committee: Permanent
Term of Office: As assigned by the AAA President
Committee Reports to: The Executive Board
- Review new Section and Interest Group applications, and with the Section Assembly Executive Committee monitor continuing eligibility and membership numbers
- Review annual reports from all standing committees, commissions, and task forces, discuss any requests for changes or issues requiring Executive Board attention, and forward recommendations to the Executive Board for action
- Draft revisions to committee charges when warranted for Executive Board approval
- Determine and monitor the Annual Report process for committees, commissions, and task forces
- Conduct five-year review and re-authorization of all standing committees, with the exception of the AOC itself, which is reviewed by the ACC
- Respond to concerns about the structure of the AAA, especially the liaison between sections, committees, and the AAA administration and memberships
- Review AAA member dues and benefits
- Review projects and initiatives of the AAA and the financial resources necessary to carry them out
- Review external relations of the Association
- Review Association personnel policies that need action by the Executive Board
- Review annual reports of the Annual Meeting Executive Program Committee, discuss their recommendations for change and forward them to the Executive Board; receive and review reports from Annual Meeting participant questionnaires; discuss, support, and/or initiate moves to improve members' experiences of the meetings. (This responsibility was moved from the ACC in 2013 on a trial basis and will be reviewed in 2016.)
Membership and Appointment: Normally one-half the number of EB members. All members including the Chair, appointed by the AAA president from within the Executive Board. The AOC will include the Secretary and at least one of the SA representatives to the Executive Board President and President-Elect/Vice President sit as Ex-Officio.
Product: Written reports to the Executive Board
Meetings and Schedule: Two meetings per year, one at Association's Annual Meeting, one at the spring Executive Board Meeting
Other meetings to be scheduled
Staff Liaison and contact information: Elaine Lynch, Deputy Executive Director, American Anthropological Association, 2300 Clarendon Blvd., Suite 1301, Arlington, VA 22201, (o) 703/528-1902, (f) 703/528-3546, (e) email@example.com.
Date Created or Revised: August 12, 2013